It’s crazy to see how much I have changed in such a short amount of time. When I look back at high school, I never let myself experience anything too wild. I stayed as I was, as I had always been. And, at that point in time, it was alright because it fitted who I was. But the person I am now is far different from the person I had been; The experiences I have had, the things I have tried, and the people that I have met this year have made this journey of self-discovery, heartbreak, and growth all the more possible.
It’s been a hell of a year, with tons and tons of memorable moments. I’m truly going to reminisce on how great my Freshman year has been. I am really glad I chose to go to UT, to throw myself in a place where I didn’t know anyone. I’m really happy I met people over the summer either through Twitter, Facebook, or even Freshman Support (where I met my roommate). It was a Catfish experience, but not really, because these “followers” I came to meet and know over the course of two semesters were so kind, genuine, and unique. Although Dobie wasn’t the ideal dorming place to live in, my roommates and I built a home out of it. I don’t think I can ever forget all those late nights when our friends came over and we talked until the sun came up. Those pre-games Room 705 hosted and not once did we get caught. These little things have made me learn to accept and embrace new things, something I always cautioned away from.
- Austin’s Pizza is even more amazing when you are drunk
- Kerbey Lane queso is legit THE BEST.
- Tinder is a stupid app, never let your roommate get you into it
- Somehow making it on time to my 8 am class after Thirsty Thursdays on Sixth
- Rescuing a turtle from the street and returning it to the turtle pond
- Hanging out with our guy friends in our humble little dorm playing Super Smash Bros for hours on end
- Naps with my G.B.F.F.
- Getting late night Tiffs Treats
- Fights with my roommate over silly little things (I’m gonna miss this)
- Making a strong group of friends that I know I can count on for anything, anytime. (Seriously, thanks guys!)
Lessons from Freshman Year
- It’s hard for things to go back to normal after boundaries are crossed
- Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to people
- All nighters are no fun, but do it for the grade
- Choose a balance between easy and hard classes
- You’ll struggle in a class for the longest time before getting your shit together (but things will work out)
- Office Hours and TA sessions will help you so much for tests
- You’ll lose people along with way, but you should fight for those you want to keep in your life.
- Distance makes the heart grow fonder, give people and things time.
- Things get awkward once you make out with a friend
- Have faith in the little things
- Get a fake I.D.
- Go with your gut feeling and listen to your heart
- Change is good. Jump in and let new experiences take you.
- Be more accepting of criticism
- Open-up to people and have heart to hearts, they’ll bring you so much closer to your friends
- Learn to listen more than you say
- Friendship is a two-way street
“.. In the End, all that really matters isn’t the things you did, but what its effects are today, not the knowledge you have learned, but how you applied it, not the words that were said, but how they made you feel, and most of all, not the moment of occurrence, but how it’s now just a part of our memory.. Everyday, we make memories.. Let’s paint lives with happy ones..” – Unknown
I hope everyone has a wonderful summer!